CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform, 2016. First Edition, First Printing. A Fine Softcover.
SIGNED by the Author "Best Wishes" without personalization.
No Flaws or Blemishes; Gift Quality. 9 inches tall; 106 pages with bibliography; some b/w photo illustration.
No Flaws or Blemishes; Gift Quality. Item #15923
From the late 1920s to 1970s, Magnesia Springs was one of the most popular recreational destinations in Alachua County, Florida. With two pools fed by a natural spring (and later artesian wells), picnic areas, a concession stand, and pristine surroundings, people from all over the region could spend an entire summer day frolicking in the crystal-clear, blue, 72-degree water!
Hartwell Kelly developed Magnesia Springs after closing the Kelley Music Store in downtown Gainesville in 1928. Mr. Kelly developed the springs into a first class bathing pool and tourist attraction. His wife's parents, J.L. and Martha Brown, had owned it since 1882 when they bought 640 acres with the springs and moved there from Terra Haute, Indiana, in hopes of helping Mr. Brown’s Civil War injuries.
Hartwell Kelley expanded the springs by hand-digging and pouring a 30 x 90 foot concrete pool in 1929. Mule drawn wagons hauled off the clay then, and again in 1932 when he further enlarged it to 50 x 152 feet with a 20 x 60 foot wading pool. Nellie also began the Magnesia Springs Water Company in 1929 and sold 5 gallon jugs for 50 cents each. Camp Blanding alone purchased 800 to 1000 bottles a week.